Saint Anthony Catholic Church is a historic Roman Catholic church located at 704 N. First Avenue in Evansville, Indiana. The parish was established in 1888 to serve a growing community of predominantly German Catholic families and became the sixth Catholic parish established in Evansville.
The origins of Saint Anthony are closely connected to Anthony and Magdalena Reis, German immigrants who became successful in Evansville’s tannery business. Anthony Reis built a large family home on the property in 1872. Following his death in 1884, Magdalena Reis donated the surrounding land to the Catholic diocese with the condition that a church be established there and named in memory of her husband.
Saint Anthony celebrated its first Mass on June 13, 1888, the Feast of Saint Anthony. Before the parish’s first building was completed, services were temporarily held in the attic of the Reis home. As the congregation rapidly expanded, a larger permanent church was designed by Brother Adrian O.S.F. of St. Louis. The church was formally consecrated on May 25, 1896, in a ceremony attended by more than 25 priests from Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky.
Saint Anthony also operated a parish school beginning in 1888. The Sisters of St. Francis of Oldenburg taught at the school for generations, and enrollment eventually reached approximately 400 students. Saint Anthony School closed as an independent school in 1987 when it consolidated with St. Joseph School.
In 2015, Saint Anthony Parish merged with Saint Joseph Parish to form All Saints Catholic Parish. The historic Saint Anthony church remains in active use as one of All Saints Parish’s two church campuses and continues to serve Evansville more than 135 years after the parish’s founding.
